All-time Australian Open Venues
Warehouseman's Ground, Melbourne: 1905, 1911, 1914, 1924
In 1905, Warehouseman's Cricket Club Ground (later Albert Cricket Ground) in St.Kilda Road, Melbourne, Victoria hosted the first tennis Australasian Championships, since 1922 - Australian Open.
Christchurch, New Zealand: 1906
Auchenflower, Brisbane: 1907, 1915
Double Bay Grounds, Sydney: 1908, 1919
In 1919, Double Bay Grounds in Sydney were hosting both Australasian Championships (now Australian Open) and International Lawn Tennis Challenge (now Davis Cup).
Perth Zoo, Perth (tennis courts were hired out): 1909
In 1909, Perth Zoo's tennis courts were hired out and Zoo became a home of 5th Australasian Championships.
Adelaide: 1910, 1920
Hastings, New Zealand: 1912
Mueller Park (Kitchener Park in 1916-1981), Perth: 1913, 1921
In 1916, Mueller Park changed its name to Kitchener Park due to war-time patriotic fervour.
White City Stadium, Sydney: 1922, 1925, 1928, 1931, 1934, 1937, 1940, 1947, 1951, 1954, 1958, 1962, 1966, 1970, 1971
White City Stadium in Rushcutters Bay, Sydney, New South Wales was built in 1922 for the New South Wales Championships and in same year stadium held the Australasian Championships (now Australian Open). The Centre Court with natural grass surface seated 8,000 people, but with the use of temporary grandstands, the capacity of the main arena could be increased to as high as 25,000. As it was when the Davis Cup final was played at the venue in 1954. In 1962, Rod Laver won here the Australian Open and started his way to his first Grand Slam. In 1970, Margaret Court won singles title for her third Grand Slam. From 1922 until 2000, the tennis complex was home of the NSW Open (now - Mediabank International, one of the key tennis tournament in Australian Open Series) before it was moved to the Sydney Olympic Park Tennis Centre at Homebush.
Milton Courts, Brisbane: 1923, 1956, 1960, 1964, 1969
The Milton Tennis Centre at Frew Park, Milton Road, Queensland was opened in 1915. Tennis complex consisted of four grass courts and 19 hard courts. The main arena seated 7,000 people and had a grass surface. In 1969, Rod Laver won here Australian Open, the first tournament of his second Grand Slam. In 1999 the venue was closed because of heavy financial losses.
Memorial Drive, Adelaide: 1926, 1929, 1932, 1936, 1938, 1946, 1949, 1952, 1955, 1959, 1963, 1967
The courts at Memorial Drive Park, Adelaide were opened in October 1921, after South Australian Lawn Tennis Association leased about six acres of ground Park 22 in the South Park Lands between Goodwood and the Bay Roads for 21 years. The main arena with grass surface (now main court has a hard surface) seated 6,000 people. In 1938, Donald Budge took here the first step to the first Grand Slam in tennis history. Since 2009 the World Tennis Challenge (exhibition tournament held in the week before the Australian Open), has been played at Memorial Drive.
Kooyong Lawn Tennis Club, Melbourne: 1927, 1930, 1933, 1935, 1939, 1948, 1950, 1953, 1957, 1961, 1965, 1968, 1972-1987
In 1927, Kooyong Stadium, at the Kooyong Lawn Tennis Club, Melbourne was opened and hosted Australian Open. Tennis complex consisted of twenty grass courts. The main arena (now a hard-court surface) has a capacity of 8,500. In 1953, Maureen Connolly won Australian Open and step to the first woman Grand Slam. From 1972 until 1987, Kooyong becomes the permanent home of the Australian Open, for the first time in tournament history. Since 1988, each January before the Australian Open, Kooyong held the AAMI Classic, tennis exhibition singles-only tournament.
Melbourne Park (Flinders Park in 1988-1996), Melbourne: 1988 - present
In 1988, Australian Open moved to new National Tennis Centre at Flinders Park, Melbourne (was renamed to Melbourne Park in 1996), because Kooyong, the previous venue, had become too small. This year was lucky for Steffi Graf, who won last single's Grand Slam in tennis history. Now tennis complex consists of Rod Laver Arena (formerly Centre Court), Hisense Arena (formerly Vodafone Arena), three show courts including Margaret Court Arena, indoor tennis practice courts, and 19 outdoor tennis courts with lighting.
Melbourne Park Grounds Map
Rod Laver Arena
Rod Laver Arena is the main tennis stadium of the Melbourne Park complex with a seating capacity of 14,820. In January 2000, formerly simply known as Centre Court, the stadium was named to honour Rod Laver, two-time owner of Grand Slam. From 1988 until 2007, the official surface of the Australian Open was green Rebound Ace, tennis hardcourt composed of polyurethane rubber, fiberglass, and other materials on top of an asphalt or reinforced concrete base. In 2008, the surface was changed to Plexicushion, which is coloured bright blue. The Arena features a moveable roof allowing players to continue play during rain or extreme heat.