Newport Casino, Rhode Island: 1881-1886 (Men's Singles and Doubles), 1887-1889 (Men's Singles), 1890-1892 (Men's Singles and Doubles), 1893 (Men's Singles), 1894-1914 (Men's Singles and Doubles)
In 1881, the Newport Casino in Newport, Rhode Island, held the first tennis tournament, later called U.S. National Championships (now US Open). Players (only men in singles and doubles) competed on grass courts to accompany classical music.
From 1881 until 1914, local grounds held competitions, then the tournament moved to New York, but other events, including the Davis Cup, continued in Newport. In 1954, Newport became home to the International Tennis Hall of Fame and Museum.
Orange Tennis Club, Mountain Station, New Jersey: 1887 (Men's Doubles)
Philadelphia Cricket Club, Pennsylvania: 1887-1888 (Women's Singles), 1889-1891 (Women's Singles and Doubles), 1892-1920 (Women's Singles and Doubles, Mixed Doubles)
In 1887, a National Womens Tennis Championship was inaugurated at the Philadelphia Cricket Club. It was a tournament for singles and Ellen Hansell became the first champion.
Later, women's and mixed doubles events were added to the schedule. Players competed on grass courts until 1921, then U.S. Open moved to New York.
Staten Island Cricket Club, New York: 1888-1889 (Men's Doubles)
St. George Cricket Club, Chicago, Illinois: 1893 (Men's Doubles)
West Side Tennis Club, Forest Hills, New York: 1915-1916 (Men's Singles and Doubles), 1917-1920 (Men's Singles), 1921-1923 (Women's Singles and Doubles, Mixed Doubles), 1924-1933 (Men's Singes, Women's Singles and Doubles, Mixed Doubles), 1934 (Men's Singes, Women's Singles, Mixed Doubles), 1935-1941 (Men's Singes, Women's Singles), 1942-1945 (all events), 1946-1967 (Men's Singes, Women's Singles, Mixed Doubles), 1968-1977 (all events)
In 1915, West Side Tennis Club Stadium in Forest Hills, a quiet suburb of New York, became the home of the U.S. National Championships for the first time. The new U-shaped tennis stadium with a seating capacity of 15,000 was built in 1923, and matches were played on grass courts.
In 1968, all five events were merged into the US Open, held at the West Side Tennis Club in Forest Hills. In 1975, the US Open tournament was switched to Har-Tru clay courts.
Longwood Cricket Club, Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts: 1917-1933 (Men's Doubles), 1935-1941 (Men's and Women's Doubles, Mixed Doubles), 1946-1967 (Men's and Women's Doubles)
From 1917 until 1967, the Longwood Cricket Club grass courts held U.S. National Championships in Men's, Women's, and Mixed Doubles in different years. From 1964 until 1999, Longwood Cricket Club was the U.S. Pro Tennis Championships venue.
Germantown Cricket Club, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: 1921-1923 (Men's Singes), 1934 (Men's and Women's Doubles)
USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, Flushing Meadows, New York: 1978 - present
In 1978, US Open moved to the new USTA National Tennis Center at Flushing Meadows, in the New York City borough of Queens, because the tournament outgrew the previous venue in Forest Hills. In 2006, USTA National Tennis Center was renamed after the great tennis player Billie Jean KING
Now tennis complex consists of Arthur Ashe Stadium, Louis Armstrong Stadium, Grandstand court (Court number 3) with a seating capacity of 6000, 30 outdoor courts, 12 indoor courts, and 4 climate-controlled clay courts.
In addition to courts located within the gates of the tennis center, there are 11 courts at Flushing Meadows-Corona Park, near the main entrance, and are used as practice courts during the US Open Championships.
Sidecourts 4, 7, and 11 also be used during the tournament. These courts have a seating capacity of more than 1,000.
All courts have used the DecoTurf cushioned acrylic surface.
US Open Grounds Map
Arthur Ashe Stadium
Arthur Ashe Stadium was opened in 1997 and replaced Louis Armstrong Stadium as the principal venue for the tournament. The new arena was named in honor of Arthur ASHE
, the first African American US Open champion (1968). After he retired from tennis despite his illness, Ashe remained a public person until he died in 1993.
The four-level stadium, with a capacity of 22,547 individual seats and 90 luxury suites, has the DecoTurf hard court, which is colored blue (until 2005, it used green color).
In 2006, Arthur Ashe Stadium became the first of the Grand Slam stadiums equipped with the Hawk-Eye line-calling system, allowing tennis players to challenge the umpire's decision on calls made throughout the tournament.
Louis Armstrong Stadium
In 1978, Louis Armstrong Stadium became the main arena for US Open before Arthur Ashe Stadium opened in 1997. Initially built by the Singer Sewing Machine Company for its 1965 Worlds Fair exhibit and called Singer Bowl, the stadium was renamed for Louis Armstrong in 1977. In 1978, after renovation, the arena began hosting US Open matches. In 1997, Louis Armstrong Stadium was renovated again, reducing its capacity from 18,000 to 10,200. The court surface is DecoTurf, like the other USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center courts.